The Climbing Counselor is responsible for ensuring campers have access to a safe, fun, quality and educational climbing program.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Follow BSA climbing procedures.
- Instruct campers in rock climbing and safety. Offer a quality program.
- Ensure campers are properly fitted with safety equipment.
- Ensure climbing equipment is set up correctly.
- Maintain paperwork and ensure completeness and submit on time.
- Participate in camp-wide activities.
- Assist in the set up and take down of all camp facilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
CERTIFICATIONS & REQUIRED TRAINING
- BSA Climbing Instructor Level 1 (Provided by Council)
- CPR, AED, First Aid, Prior to Start of Camp (Provided if Needed)
- Youth Protection (Online Prior to Camp)
- BSA Program Safety (Online Prior to Camp)
- FEMA Multi-Hazard Planning for Child Care (Online Prior to Camp)
- BSA Unlawful Harassment Prevention (Online Prior to Camp)
- Standard Precautions Training (Provided by the Council)
REQUIRED FOR THE JOB
- Must be able to read, speak and write the English language
- Must be able to work outdoors at an elevation of 9,000+ feet above sea level
- Must be 16 years of age or older
- Must have a valid driver’s license and record insurable by the Council’s insurance company
- Must have the physical endurance to participate in rock climbing activities
- Must be able to identify and respond to climbing emergencies with the proper procedure/maneuvers
- Must be able to pass a background check from the TRAILS database, CBI and the FBI
- Must be able to become a member of the Boy Scouts of America
- Training prior to camp at Peaceful Valley Scout Ranch is mandatory.
|Reports to||Climbing Director|
|Will certify applicant||Yes|
|Salary Level||Grade 2|