Autism and Scouting
- A website dedicated to autism and Scouting–including training, training kits, Internet radio, etc.
AutismNOW Transition Planning
- Guidance on making the transition from school to employment and adult life.
Autism Society of America
- The mission of the Autism Society of America is to promote lifelong access and opportunities for persons within the autism spectrum and their families, to be fully included, participating members of their communities through advocacy, public awareness
Autism Society of Colorado
- The Autism Society of Colorado provides local contacts and resources not available through the national site.
Autism Speaks Resource Guide
- Colorado Resources for Youth with Autism.
Career Assistance for People with Autism
- Considers rights, financial aid, resume writing, getting assistance and finding a job that’s a good fit.
- A nonprofit devoted to inspiring bright futures for children with autism from the ages of 18 months to 18 years. Their learning treatment programs are delivered at our Denver Firefly Autism House in full or half day programs as well as in the home and schools throughout Colorado through our Firefly Autism Outreach team. They provide the full range of therapy treatments, assessments, clinical and consultation services as well as program development.
- More resources on autism from the federal government.
Myths about Autism
This article explores common myths about autism:
- Individuals with autism are emotionless
- They prefer to stay isolated
- They are prone to violence
- Individuals on the spectrum are all gifted
- Individuals on the spectrum are intellectually impaired
- Vaccines cause autism
- Children get autism from bad parenting
- If you know someone with autism, you’re an expert
- Individuals with autism are uncaring and selfish
- Autism is an epidemic
- Children with autism cause their parents to divorce
- A child with a few autistic behaviors must have autism
- Behaviors in those with autism will last forever
Gwen Vogelzang’s Website
Gwen is a Denver area mother to a boy who thrives and struggles with both Autism and Tourette Syndrome. Her website seeks to build community and an online network for special needs parents and adoptive parents. Part of that mission is to identify Denver area recreational resources available to local families.